Strategic Communications Are Critical For the Success of Organizations
Human Beings differ from other animals because we are so much better at communicating. With both verbal and written language we have more sophisticated means available to us, but that also increases our opportunities for miscommunications. To be most successful, we all need to use the right strategies in the most efficient way. If the message is misunderstood it will not have the desired results.
Planning communications to integrate with all the organization’s activities is essential before implementation. Here’s how:
- Know who you are and what your mission is.
- Know who needs what you do and where to find them.
- Know who your competitors are and how you are different from them.
- Create your communications with a “What’s In It For Them?” (WIIFT?) focus toward your audience. Position your story to be deliberately relevant to your intended audiences.
- Make the most relevant content interesting, easy to find, and to understand.
- Reach out to your audiences using different vehicles but with a consistent message.
- Measure the relative success of each tactic to maximize the return on your efforts.